"People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like." -- Abraham Lincoln

Saturday

Eastern Glow

Photobucket

Photobucket

Last year I walked into a Farmer's Market out east in Antigonish NS to get some fresh vegetables. Instead I found myself drawn towards the jewelry tables (nothing wrong with fashion over food). I found a local man who made pendents and bracelets out of rocks, sea glass and old pottery. The cream coloured pendant caught my eye and the man explained to me that it was a piece of pottery washed up from the sea and wrapped in silver wire. How could I possibly resist? Since I bought it I have had countless compliments on it, and I still love it as much as I did when I first bought it.

This past February, my friend Allison went to Nicaragua to build houses. She went to a little pottery shop and, inspired by my pendent, asked if she could have any bits of broken pottery. She brought them back to Canada and we spent a whole day breaking up the pieces and wrapping them in copper wire to make pendents. We made about 40 of them, the brown one above is one of them. It's always fun when people ask "where did you get that beautiful pendant?" and I can respond "Oh I just made it out of one of a kind pottery from Nicaragua... No big deal".

No comments:

Post a Comment